In Everything Give Thanks

In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 the Bible instructs us to give thanks in everything because this is God's will.

When the sun is shinning, it's easy to give thanks.

When there is no unemployment and money is there, it's easy to give thanks.

When everyone is healthy, it's easy to give thanks.

Ahhhh, and there is today's issue.  This morning before church started and the choir was in robes and waiting to enter the sanctuary, a member shared a prayer request for her niece.  She had just been diagnosed with cancer of the eye.  There was evidence the cancer had spread and the diagnosis, if it has, survival is 1%.  The little girl is 2.  A friend of the family who has been cancer free for over 20 years, has been diagnosed with bone marrow cancer most likely caused by a chemo used in his treatment years ago.  How can I be thankful?  What is there to be thankful for in either of these situations?

But God didn't promise us that everything would be "sunshine and roses".  He did promise us that He would always be there.  He did promise that He would hear our prayers.  The thing I have learned - usually the hard way - that hearing what we pray and answering what we ask are two totally different things!  Another thing I've learned is no is an answer.  There are only 3 answers - yes, no, and wait.  The no and waiting are the replies that we don't like - from God or anyone else.  So, keeping in mind that God is not Santa Claus or our favorite uncle, what do we learn or gain from disease, illness and even death.

Don't get me wrong - I am not mad at God or even questioning HIM because, well, I know better.  I just sometimes ponder on these things.  The only way I know how to answer my own questions, is to look back and see where it wasn't a sunny day and someone I loved very much was facing the same diagnosis as that 2 year old little girl.  What did I learn.

I learned that God is in control.  Always.

I learned to accept help from my friends.

I learned to allow others to receive blessings by giving to us.  (that was a hard one)

I learned that sometimes we have to take control of a situation - not just let it happen.

I learned that the ability to look back and see God in action is priceless.

Comments

  1. Recognizing that this too is God is one of the hardest things to do and accept. God created cancer, and while it's hard to understand why, we can be thankful for the lessons it teaches us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How We Were Almost Arrested in France

This is How I Feel

Can I have Puppy