Rights of Passage

From the womb, both my daughters Kaitlin and Julie have loved music.  As toddlers they would both sit at the piano and pick out songs.  As soon as they could read we enrolled them in piano lessons.  The first time they played together - I was in seventh heaven.  As 5th grade came around and band was an opportunity they both jumped at the chance to play.

We've been through painful 5th grade first concerts through state final competitions that held your breath with the ending notes.  I've loved every moment of it.  Even when Julie switched in 7th grade to the oboe, I enjoyed hearing the duck quacks for the first couple of weeks. I admire them both for taking the extra effort and time to play a musical instrument.  They still both play the piano also and along the lines we have inherited an organ that they have self taught themselves.  Between those, the French horn, flute and oboe, there is usually music in this house.

When Kaitlin began 9th grade and joined the marching band my next "big thrill" was to see them both in the high school band.  When Julie comes to the games and sits close to her fellow flutists, I know that one day she will be sitting there, in the uniform, playing with them.

Tomorrow night 8th graders from  Andersen and Willis Jr High schools will be playing with the Chandler High School Marching Band.  They won't be marching with them of course but sitting in their sections, playing stand tunes along side the high school students.  "Low Rider" and the "CHS Fight Song" has been among the songs played in this house for the last couple of weeks.

But WAIT - that means than in less than 10 months Julie will be a freshman  in high school and Kaitlin will be a senior.  That was not part of the plan to see them playing in marching band together.  When I am out with the girls and I see a mom with a baby, I say to them, "that was you last year".  They just roll their eyes and remind me of what their ages are.  I don't like this!  Where has the time gone?  I swear last month I was dancing around my living room holding them because they didn't walk yet.  Now they are planning on being in high school and marching band together?

I realize the song "Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce  was written to be a love song, but read the words.



If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till Eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure and then,
Again, I would spend them with you.






Slow down girls - don't grow up today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Were Almost Arrested in France

This is How I Feel

Can I have Puppy